Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cooking Adventures #1: Honey Soy Chicken + Garlic Butter Broccoli

Hello again everyone!  I'm now typing this while waiting for the chicken to cook. I'm hungry.

Since ma ma isn't around (she's at the other house, watching the workers), the responsibility has fallen on my shoulders to prepare lunch today. Yay. Not.

I'm not as good at cooking as I am at baking. And given that my baking skills are fairly mediocre (okay maybe slightly higher than average, more like.), cooking is definitely not my thing. But since I may be leaving in 2 months, I have to learn to cook. I always thought, aiyah just find recipes online then follow lah. How hard can it be right? Hahahah I'm so funny -.- Just because I follow the recipe, doesn't mean it'll turn out great. For me, sure something will go wrong somewhere gr. *crosses fingers, prays that nothing goes wrong today*

Excuse my vanity shot ;)

Anyways, I'm kinda using this post for future reference, so do forgive me if I bore you.

For the honey soy chicken, I used this recipe. I didn't do the rice salad, and I altered the recipe a bit. I didn't use sesame seeds, and also didn't follow the proportions stated there. Since I wasn't using the supposed 1kg of chicken, I used reduced the proportions and also adjusted according to taste (something I learned from watching so many cooking shows :P)

Marinating the chicken. You see, I tried making the 'cuts' they mentioned, but it was so difficult so it's kinda failed :(

Then I put it into the fridge, to let the sauce seep into the chicken.

After that, I started on the broccoli. Remove outer layer of skin, cut into smaller tree-like thingies, soak in water with a capful of apple cider vinegar for half an hour.

I think for me, timing is really important when it comes to cooking because I like my food fresh and warm. I really, really don't like eating cold food >___> So I had to plan everything - when to cook the rice, when to start cooking the broccoli and when to pop the chicken into the oven. So what I did was cook rice first, since rice could be kept warm. And then I preheated the oven, and after that I popped the chicken into the oven.

Into the oven it goes! 

REMINDER: Remove from oven every 10 minutes and spoon the sauce over the chicken.

With 5 minutes to go, I started cooking the broccoli. Reaaaaally simple. 
  • Melt the butter in the pan
  • Throw in the chopped garlic
  • Throw in broccoli
  • Add salt to taste

That was all! :D I finished the broccoli just in time for my chicken to be ready. Took it out and it smelled amazing. Here's the final products! : 



Aaaaand my lunch! :D It not only looks good, it tasted even better than it looks :P

Buhbyeeee :3 

No comments:

Post a Comment